Sharon Foulkes - Australia in a rush


the spring breeze dances across the fen
where grasses shiver and newly shine
a chick a dee twitters remembering when
I now know the loss is mine

the sun distracts, it's glow transferred
my warming tear vanishes with time
no track remains, all emotion deferred
I search the sky for guiding signs.









In 2010, I was on assignment in Melbourne Australia in 2009 through 2010. I had the good fortune to have my mom, brother, sister in law, and nephew visit me as they were performing a canadian version of the "walk a bout".  It is hard to believe it has been three years since I returned from this assignment.

The following is a collection of photos taken while we toured the surrounding area.  My mom had confided that she never dreamed she would have been afforded the opportunity to have taken this trip, and regretted not being able to share it with dad.

The crew - Mom, Brenda, Darryl, Jake, me





They could not have come to Melbourne without visiting the Great Ocean Road and the Apostles - revenants of the eroded banks. 


The lookout

Entering the national park




shrubs and a vegetable


 Buff boy in full bloom

As Darryl and Jake took off for a week bike tour into the Dendanong mountains north of Melbourne, Brenda, mom and I visited Phillup Island park, where we were able to interact with a number of the native species, including wallabies,




roos







Lizards


Kookaburra


Tasmanian Devils



Koalas - critter after my own heart.  I did not see this fellow move once.


 and a variety of birds including Ibis


Parrots



A few photos from the bike trip (courtesy of Darryl)



Good thing he is slightly out of focus.


On top of the world (or nearly)



Road signs for koalas, roos, penguins, and emus were common.



Lounging at my apartment in Melbourne


Yes, just outside of my apartment, and inside.






Trip of a life time.







As it turned out, this was the final international trip made by my mother prior to her death on 21 June 2010.

My dad had passed away almost a year earlier on 28 July 2009.

I miss them tremendously



Comments