Tofino Road Trip - Campbell River Leg

Taking a breather from work, I decided I needed another road trip, this time to Tofino, a small tourist town on the west side of Vancouver Island.  The trip from Calgary took 7 days and covered a total distance of approximately 3500km - definitely not as the crow flies.

The police had a visible presence through the mountains, having set three multi-car speed traps on the Trans Canada Hwy.  Its no wonder given the abundance of wildlife actually on the highway.  The female grizzly with cub in tow and a black bear (no photo) were just a few meters off the highway, but the herd of Rocky mountain sheep took little heed of the traffic.





Given the distraction of the mountains, I can see how a distracted speeding driver could create havoc.  As evident by the snow patches, the weather in the mountains was just beginning to warm.


This was not so near Kalowna, where the temperature was already exceeding 20C.


Waiting for the ferry is truly an equalizer.  I caught this rolls near the front of the line.  Ok so it was late 60s - early 70s vintage.   Beautiful lines.


Vancouver as we left the mainland.


Ok, so I got a little bored waiting.



Met Dave from Lac La Biche Ab..  A carpenter, who after 25 years of trades work in northern Alberta with no international travel, decided to take a walking tour of Equator and Peru.  He had just returned to Canada and was visiting a friend on the island.  It just goes to show that it is never to late to chase a dream.


Seagulls were prevalent along the ferry dock.


The float planes were almost as numerous.  This would be the ideal way to travel between the Gulf islands.


At the dock, mosses and flowering shrubs cascaded over the rocks.


As did the Departure Bay homes.

Upon landing I headed north to Campbell River.  After I settled into my hotel, I meandered the ocean shoreline, which happened to be across the street from the hotel.  Flotsam could be seen all along the shore.  I could not hazard a guess of how long this light pole had been in the salt water.  I suspect that it was blown form one of the many decaying docks in the area.  The next morning, I witnessed a father and son team stand up the pole as a marker.


As the evening waned, I built a small fire right on the shore.  Took out my guitar and camera, and wiled away the time.  some 1/2 hr later, I watched a ferry pass by approximately 2 km off shore.


10-15 minutes later I had forgotten about the ferry, and the water added percussion to my guitar.  Suddenly it dawned on me that what I was hearing were the wake waves breaking on the shore to the south of me.  I reacted just in time to save my guitar, camera, and chair.  Close call.  Just a little steam remaining from the fire.  At least I did not have to worry about how I was going to put it out. The next morning the shore was some 8m away.


Every community has something to act as a tourist focus.  Campbell River had a huge boulder - nearly round and approximately 20 ft in diameter.  The local kids decorated it with graffiti. I suspect it is in the ocean at high tide.


Campbell River also had this very large dock.  Salmon was being caught by the locals.  Holes were placed in the handrail to hold the rods, and captain chairs were positioned along the dock providing a great view.   One had to be careful as sea lions were also in the waters nearby, periodically trolling by for an easy meal.


The area had a number of commercial and tourist fishing outfits.  One needed a strong stomach to last out on the ocean.


Wooden sculptures with an aboriginal motif were positioned throughout the town.


Mohun Lake, a fresh water lake located north west from the town, offered camping and freshwater fishing entertainment for those with weaker stomachs.


Reminded me of northern Ontario.


Comments